Texas Community Colleges

Fire Caused by Lithium Battery Charger at WTC


SNYDER— On Saturday, August 19, the Snyder Fire Department, Snyder Police Department, and Scurry County EMS responded to a fire at Western Texas College (WTC).

Around 11:00 a.m., concerned students reported a fire alarm going off in an adjacent room and the smell of smoke to College personnel. The Fire department was immediately alerted and quickly responded. Out of an abundance of caution, College personnel evacuated the dorm.

Fortunately, students were participating in Westerner Welcome Day, and most were involved in other activities. No students or employees were injured or in any danger.

Two dorm rooms sustained damage from firefighters locating and determining the cause of the fire.

The cause of the fire turned out to be a lithium-ion power pack phone charger that had been discarded in a trash receptacle.

College President Dr. Barb Beebe and Vice President Ralph Ramon sincerely thank our first responders for the professional manner and way the incident was handled.