- Basic Course Information
- Course Description: A survey of the social, political, economic, cultural, religious, and intellectual history of the world from the emergence of human cultures through the 15th century. The course examines major cultural regions of the world in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania and their global interactions over time. Themes include the emergence of early societies, the rise of civilizations, the development of political and legal systems, religion and philosophy, economic systems, and trans-regional networks of exchange. The course emphasizes the development, interaction and impact of global exchange.
- Prerequisites: Students should have a proficiency in reading and writing.
- Student Learning Outcomes. Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
- Create an argument through the use of historical evidence.
- Analyze and interpret primary and secondary sources.
- Analyze the effects of historical, social, political, economic, and cultural forces on this period of world history.
- Major Course Requirements
- Major Tests: There will be two tests and a final exam, thus three major exams. Major exams will cover any assigned material, including, textbook, lectures, videos, handouts, downloads.
- Assignments: Homework and/or in-class assignments may include short papers, presentations, map work, and document analyses.
- Information on Books and Other Course Materials
- The Human Record V.1 to 1700, 6th edition, Andrea/Overfield. Houghton Mifflin
ISBN – 13-978-0-618-75110-5
- The Earth+ Its Peoples V.1 to 1550, 6th edition, Bulliet, Crossley, et al. Cengage
ISBN – 978-1-285-43691-3
- Other Policies:
Please refer to the WTC Course Catalog for the following:
- Campus Calendar
- Final Exam schedule
- How to drop a class
- Withdrawal information
- Student Conduct/Academic Integrity
- Students with disabilities.
- Departmental Policy in regard to make-up/late work: Late papers will be penalized 10 points per day. After 5 days the grade turns to an automatic "0".
- Course Organization & Tentative Schedule*
|| Introduction Andrea Prologue
||The Beginnings Bulliet Chapters 1-4, Andrea Documents
||The Rise of Empires Bulliet Chapters 5-7 Andrea - Documents
||The Rise of Empires
||The Rise of Empires
|| Exam Two
||The Rise of Islam and the Spread of Christianity Bulliet Chapter 9, 10 Andrea - Documents
||The Rise of Islam and the Spread of Christianity
||Culture and Contact Bulliet Chapters 13,14 Andrea Documents
||Western Europe Bulliet Chapter 15 Andrea Documents
September 20, 2017